Health & Social Care Foundation Degree
Health & Social Care Foundation Degree
Application for this course is via UCAS www.UCAS.com. UCAS Institution/Course Codes: Institution Code: W66, Course Code: L514.
The Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care (delivered in partnership with the University of Plymouth) will appeal to those who have an interest in the care sector, or would like the opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and career opportunities within a rapidly expanding and developing profession. The programme will provide students with the critical skills and experience required for a variety of roles within the health and social care sector, including health education and promotion, housing, community work, residential care, drug and alcohol services.
The course aims to provide:
1. Access to a higher level programme of study in health and social care for suitably qualified people
2. The ability for students to apply their developing skills and knowledge in a functional way as the programme progresses, particularly in the work-based learning placement, and by engagement with the local community
3. Specialist study relevant to the individual vocation and environments in which students are currently working, or to which students are aiming to work within the health and/or social care sector
4. The levels of academic and practical ability to equip students with the skills needed to progress to Honours level study
5. The knowledge, understanding and skills required for success in employment in the health and social care sector at supervisory or management level.
Flexible delivery enabling you to work and learn at the same time
An exciting and varied programme of theoretical and practical subjects
High-quality provision with access to the University of Plymouth resources with regular industry liaison and visiting speakers
Exciting programme of off-site trips and practical activities with professional and inspirational staff
Dedicated work placement staff to support placement within the care sector.
Applicants should normally be at least 18 years of age. Applications are welcomed from candidates with a subject-specific Level 3 course such as a National Subsidiary/Diploma/ Extended Diploma, A Level, Access to Higher Education Course, or a work-based course, such as NVQ 3 or Advanced Apprenticeship with 80 UCAS points (MMP) achieved. Applications from candidates without formal qualifications, but who have a minimum of two years relevant work experience and are able to demonstrate that they have developed the necessary skills to succeed on the course will also be considered. All applicants will normally require at least 4 GCSE passes at grade 4 or above including maths and English or their Level 2 equivalents, and will be required to supply/undergo an enhanced DBS check. All applicants will be required to attend an interview.
- Communication in Care
- Foundations of Health & Welfare
- Impact of Illness & Disease
- The Role of Public Health
- Safeguarding in Health & Social Care
- Study Skills & Professional Development
- Health Promotion
- Organisational Management in Health & Social Care
- Research Methods & Work Based Learning
- Ethics, Values, Diversity & Rights
- Health & Social Policy
- Mental Health & Well-being in Health & Social Care
Work-based learning: You are required to complete 200 hours work experience within an appropriate health and social care setting.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment for this programme will be through a mix of coursework and examinations.
Successful students have the opportunity to apply for the University of Plymouth BSc (Hons) Professional Practice (Health and Community) Top Up held at Weymouth College or the BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care Studies Top Up held at Exeter College. Progression onto other top-up courses at a variety of institutions is an option for those who wish to apply to study elsewhere.
Students who have successfully completed this course have moved on to a variety of industry specific careers such as residential care, support work within special educational needs schools and the prison service.
The course fees for all students for this course will be £6650 per annum for 2022/23. Details of the student finance available for all higher education students can be found on the student finance website www.gov.uk/student-finance. For information and advice on course fees please contact Roz Osborne at email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01305 764733.
Additional Course Costs
Currently the cost of visits/trips are funded as part of this course, as well as application costs for Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance which is an enrolment requirement of this course. *Note All costs may be subject to change and may vary dependent on place of purchase.
Please note International Students will be charged an additional £250 admin fee on top of their tuition fee.
Continuing Professional Development
The University of Plymouth Continuing Professional Award consists of up to 60 credits from Degree modules delivered at Weymouth College. Alternatively we can discuss non-credit based options (micro-credentials) as a CV building activity. If you are an employer and looking to offer your employees the opportunity to develop their existing skills we will be happy to discuss the options available.