Safeguarding & Prevent
Safeguarding is an important element of all aspects of Weymouth College’s activities and the safety of our students is of paramount importance to us. We are committed to providing an environment that values young people and vulnerable adults. We work with the Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCBs) and Local Safeguarding Adult Board in Dorset to ensure that our policies and procedures follow local best practice. Please read our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy and Prevent Policy for more information.
If you have any concerns regarding the welfare of a student at Weymouth College or another safeguarding concern and you do not wish to be identified, you can use our anonymous reporting tool to submit the details. Please click here to be taken to the anonymous reporting tool.
Ofsted has recognised Weymouth College’s efforts to deliver high quality safeguarding practice:
“The arrangements for safeguarding are effective
- Managers have effectively integrated arrangements for safeguarding with college support services. Staff are appropriately trained, highly vigilant and identify and report concerns about learners promptly. Managers’ work well with external agencies and any concerns are resolved swiftly.
- Learners are well informed of risks such as those associated with use of the internet and social media. Harassment or bullying is not tolerated. Learners report that they feel safe and well supported at college.
- Managers ensure that the college discharges its ‘Prevent’ duties and that risks have been assessed. Staff training and learner awareness raising is ongoing and managers have good links with local agencies who keep them informed of new developments or concerns.
- Managers carry out comprehensive recruitment checks on staff and volunteers and keep accurate records. They undertake health and safety assessments and audits systematically and review them regularly”. (Ofsted 2015)
We are proud of our record in safeguarding and take our responsibility very seriously to safeguard the welfare of all young people and vulnerable adults attending or visiting the college. The steps we have taken to ensure continuing high standards include:
- The College ensures that safe recruitment practices are followed when employing all staff;
- A safeguarding culture is actively promoted within the College; incidents of bullying, intimidation, harassment and abuse will be taken seriously and acted upon;
- The College has a senior member of staff who leads on safeguarding supported by a dedicated Safeguarding Manager and a team of trained safeguarding officers;
- Resources are targeted at young children who are ‘Looked After’ by local authorities, those subject to Child Protection/ Child in Need Plans and adults who have significant vulnerabilities;
- All Governors and staff receive regular training on safeguarding;
- Visitors, volunteers, employers and partners of the College are made aware of the safeguarding procedures and their responsibilities towards our students. In particular we have a strict lanyard wearing policy that ensures anybody on site is easily identified;
- All students receive an induction and information on safeguarding and know what to do if they have any concerns;
- Immediate access to a Safeguarding Officer is available to all students and staff. Any concerns can be reported by telephone (07850 929540).
The Safeguarding Team
The Designated Senior Person with responsibility for Safeguarding at the College is Rob Cole, Vice Principal (Finance and Human Resources) and he can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any concerns or are presented with an issue that might relate to Child / At Risk Adult Protection, please contact email@example.com in confidence:
Vice Principal (Finance & HR) Designated Safeguarding Lead
Head of Student Services & Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead
Safeguarding and Welfare Officer
Safeguarding and Welfare Officer
Student Financial Support Manager
Head of Curriculum and Skills (Engineering & Automotive)
Safeguarding & Welfare Officer
Student Health & Wellbeing Manager
Head of Curriculum and Skills(Construction)
Looked after Children and Care Leavers at Weymouth College
Find out more about the support available on our Looked after Children and Care Leavers at Weymouth College Leaflet