Principles of Dementia Care
Dementia is one of the main causes of disability in later life, and cases are rising – by 2051, it’s expected that two million people in the UK will have dementia. If you work with people with dementia, it’s important that you understand the condition and know how to provide the best possible care for each individual.
This course will enable you to learn all about approaches to dementia care. You’ll gain insight into how dementia affects the way people behave and interact, as well as how best to communicate with people who have dementia.
You will study the following units:
- Dementia awareness
- The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
This is a distance learning course. Upon successful enrolment, you will be provided with access to all your online learning resources to complete the course and will also be allocated an assessor who will provide you with 1:1 online support.
Eligibility for FREE* level 2 Distance Learning Courses
- Be resident in England
- Must have lived in the UK or EAA for the last three years
- Must be aged 19 years or over as at the start of the academic year (31st August)
- Have a full level 2 qualification (if aged 19-23)
*This course is free to complete if you meet the eligibility criteria, however a withdraw fee of £100 applies in the following circumstances:
- Learner requests to withdraw
- Learner does not commence their course
- Learner does not complete their course by their allocated end date
There is a two-week grace period where learners are able to withdraw from their course free of charge. This starts from the date of your welcome email containing login details and access information for the learning portal. You will be provided with further details on the withdraw process at sign up.