Construction Skills (Entry Level)
Construction Skills Entry Level
If you want to work in the construction industry then this course is ideal for you as it develops your practical skills and the theoretical knowledge required to gain entry to one of the diploma courses within Construction & Allied Trades. You do not need to be employed within your chosen trade to undertake this course as it will teach you the underpinning knowledge as well as ‘build’ your practical skills.
- There are no formal entry requirements.
- Selection is by interview.
- You must demonstrate your suitability for the course and that you are able to comply with health and safety requirements of the occupational areas.
- In addition, you must be willing to develop your basic skills and be committed to the study program.
You will study the following building techniques:
- Carrying out operations in occupational areas, such as carpentry and joinery, brickwork, plumbing, electrical, painting and decorating
- Contributing to the health and safety of the workplace
- Handling and storing materials/components
- Personal working skills.
How will I be assessed?
You will be continually assessed, both theoretically and practically.
Once completed successfully you may be able to progress to the next level in your chosen specialism:
- Carpentry and joinery
- Painting and decorating
The College library has an extensive lending and reference book stock. You will be advised of the text books, materials and equipment required to assist you on the course nearer to the time of study. It is essential that you wear safety boots in the workshop as without these no practical work can be undertaken.
If you are aged 16-18 as of 31 August on the year of enrolment – no course fee. If you are over 19 as of 31 August and enrolling on a full-time programme of study a tuition fee will be applicable in most cases. Bursary funds There are financial support arrangements for 16-18 year olds and hardship funds available for the over 19s. Please contact reception for details of costs and concessions on 01305 761100 or email email@example.com