State-of-the-art media centre
This new state-of-the-art media centre opened in summer of 2011 by producer of the award-winning film ‘The King’s Speech’ and ex-Weymouth College media student, Gareth Unwin.
The Hive is home to dedicated digital production suite offering students and teaching staff the combination of up-to-date digital production technology and a professional working environment which is essential to prepare today’s learners for employment in the digital creative industries
- Multi-camera tapeless HD TV studio
- JVC 790 HD broadcast studio cameras
- Sony EX1 HD cameras for tapeless location filming
- Sony HXR 2000E HD cameras for training
- Avid Media Composer Nitris DX
- Dual Quad-core HP8600 computers with Mojo SDI
- ‘The Pod’ dynamic presentation module
- 60+ PC Media workstations, Adobe CS5 & Avid software
- Green screen studio with high-spec lighting, autocue and audio equipment
- Independent radio broadcasting facility
- Flexible teaching spaces.
Teaching in Mind
The Hive has flexible teaching spaces with cutting-edge features such as ‘The Pod’, our dynamic presentation module. The lecture theatre and 2D/3D screening room is available for external events with seating for more than 50 with excellent access and facilities for the disabled. In addition it incorporates a multi-camera tapeless HD TV studio and a radio production suite. The Hive and its technical features were designed in consultation with professional media practitioners.