Skip to main content

Student Finance, Support and Funding


All higher education courses listed on our website are recognised as a qualifying course able to receive student finance. Details of the student finance available for Higher Education students can be found on the following website.


However, if you have studied on an equivalent level qualification previously for more than one year you may have issues with obtaining further funding for your tuition fee loan. Please see ( for further details or contact Roz Osborne (01305) 764733 email for advice.

Other funding options available for higher education students


Apart from applying for the student loan to cover your tuition fees, below are some details of what else you can apply for (depending on your circumstances):

• Maintenance Loan(s)

There are two levels of Maintenance Loan the Basic level does not require you to provide details of household income.

• Childcare Grant

• Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you are applying for a full Maintenance Loan, Childcare Grant or Adult Dependents Grant you must provide details of your household income. As part of the application you will be asked for details of your parents/guardians/partner. Student finance will then contact them separately for details of household income as outlined below.

Household Income includes any of the following that apply to your personal circumstances:

• your parents’ income*, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially

• the combined income of one of your parents and their partner, if you’re under 25 and live with them or depend on them financially

• your partner’s income, if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)

• income you get from your own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent

* If you’ve had no contact with your parents for over a year, you might be able to apply as an ‘estranged student’ (

• Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you have a diagnosed supporting such as a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover extra costs. See ( for further details.

What you will need to apply:

• a valid (in date) passport

• your National Insurance number

• Bank/Building Society Details

If you don’t have a passport then you will need:

• your original birth or adoption certificate

Mature Applicants

Weymouth College welcomes applications from mature students. Many of our higher education courses are timetabled to enable students to continue to work on a part-time basis.

As a mature student, you are likely to have more commitments to consider when thinking about studying on a Higher Education course and you may also be sacrificing income. The majority of eligible (UK/home) students are funded by Student Finance England and can apply for student loans to cover tuition fees and living costs. In addition you can apply for a range of additional funding as outlined in our Student Finance Support and Funding section. We would encourage mature learners to apply for this funding as soon as possible in the application cycle in order to be in place at the start of your course as more complex assessments can take some time to process.


If you receive benefits, your situation is likely to change as eligibility is limited to single parents, disabled students and partners of students, however your student income will be taken into account. If this affects you, get in touch with ( who have qualfied Benefits Advisors to take you through your possible entitlements as a student.

Council tax discounts and exemptions

As a full-time student, you won’t be counted for council tax purposes. That means you could have your bill reduced by 25 per cent if you are one of two adults in your property, or even receive a complete exemption if you’re the only adult resident.

Disability Student Allowance (DSA)

DSAs are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. They help disabled people to study in higher education on an equal basis with other students.

A DSA is paid on top of the standard student finance package and does not have to be paid back.  The amount you get depends on the type of extra help you need – not on your household income.

If you have been offered a place at Weymouth College and have a supporting need, it is vital that you contact us as soon as possible so we can assess  the support you will require prior to you commencing your studies. Please contact Roz Osborne 01305 764733 or email

We can provide you with information on careers, grants, accommodation, mobility, health matters, and personal and financial support. We offer a wide range of support to all learners with any additional needs, from learning difficulties to mental health issues, dyslexia to special examination requirements.

Students’ Union

Once you enrol on a higher education course at Weymouth College you will either automatically become a member of University of Plymouth students’ union (UPSU) or you will have the option to join the Student Union through Weymouth College.

There are strong links and support available via the Students’ Union Liaison Officers from partner universities as outlined in student handbooks.

Students will have the opportunity to elect a student representative from their year and programme of study who will act as a student liaison at various course and college meetings.

Artboard 7Artboard 6emailArtboard 9Artboard 9Artboard 11Artboard 17Artboard 10Artboard 16Artboard 18