Skip to main content

Whether you are taking your first steps into Further Education, continuing on with your Higher Education studies, or looking for financial assistance to help you make a new start by re-skilling, these pages will help you access the financial support you need whilst you learn.


Discretionary Financial Support

Weymouth College is committed to ensure that financial hardship is not a barrier to support students stay in further education, particularly those who are economically or socially disadvantaged.

If you are already studying or you plan to study at Weymouth College, you can apply to Weymouth College for discretionary support funds to help you with your course-related costs such as travel, equipment, trips, lunch, stationery and also childcare support.

There are a number of schemes available, please see below:

  1. 16-18 Guaranteed Bursary
  2. 16-18 Discretionary Bursary
  3. 19+ Discretionary Learner Support including childcare
  4. Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund including childcare
  5. Free Meals Scheme

To apply for any of the above funds, students can download the application form and email to For more information, please consult our student finance guidebook. If you require further advice or guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Team on Tel: 01305 764807, or Email:

16-18 Year Olds – Free Tuition

If you are aged under 19 as of 31st August on the year of enrolment, the courses are FREE. There are a few exceptions, such as international students from overseas, or Full Cost courses where all students have to pay all fees, but we will inform you if you fall into one of these categories.

Employer or sponsor payment of fees

The employer/sponsor must sign a College Employer/Sponsor Payment Form (available from Lin Gisborne on 01305 764723 or email Once this has been received, and the candidate has enrolled, we will raise an invoice for the amount due. Once the candidate has enrolled and started the course no refund can be made.

Support for learners aged 19 and over

If you are aged 19 and over as of the 1st September on the year of enrolment and fall into one of the following categories, the course will be FREE of charge. Terms and conditions apply:

  • Learners aged 19-23 who are enrolling at Entry Level or Level 1, who have not already achieved a full Level 2 qualification, and are using this course as a route to gaining a full Level 2. (Please note if a 19-23 year old learner has already achieved a full Level 2 qualification, any subsequent Level 2 qualifications will be co-funded).
  • Learners aged 19-23 studying for their first full Level 2 qualification
  • Learners aged 19-23 studying for their first full level 3 qualification
  • Learners aged 19-and over enrolling on a Maths or English GCSE who have not previously achieved at Grade C or above.
  • Learners enrolling at Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 who are employed or self-employed and are earning the equivalent or less than the National Living Wage of £8.91 per hour
  • Learners enrolling at Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 who are in receipt of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) or Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) and using the training/learning as a direct route towards their intended employment. Where an individual is a dependant of the claimant they are not automatically eligible for full fee remission, but may be eligible under other criteria.
  • Unemployed learners enrolling at Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 who are in receipt of a state benefit (other than JSA or ESA (WRAG) and using the training/learning as a direct route towards their intended employment.
  • Learners studying aims that are Adult Basic Skills and Functional Skills in English and Maths, excluding Adult Skills Certificates in ESOL.
  • Concessions for ESOL students (English for Speakers of Other Languages). Classroom based ESOL provision will only be fully funded for individuals in receipt of JSA, ESA (WRAG) or unemployed and in receipt of a state benefit, where it is identified as a barrier to employment.

NB: To qualify for the fee reduction, an up-to-date award document, or a letter from the benefit agency, must be shown at the time of enrolment.  If there is a delay between enrolment and the start date of the course, the College reserves the right to ask for updated benefit evidence at the start of the course to confirm eligibility.


For further information on entitlement, or if you want to discuss your eligibility for a fee reduction, please telephone Lin Gisborne on (01305) 764723

Advanced Learner Loans

Aged 19 or over and thinking about further education?
You may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan. These loans help you to pay the fees charged by colleges and training organisations. Most learners aged 19 and over, studying at Level 3 to 6, will qualify for these loans from the UK government. It’s easy to apply, your household income isn’t taken into account and there’s no credit check.

Repayments start the April after you complete or withdraw from your course.  You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you finish your course and earn more than £26,575 a year. Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £26,575 a year.  Please click here for details:

Paying in instalments

This option is available on some courses. Please contact Lin Gisborne on 01305 764723 or email for further details.

Financial Support Available from Student Finance England for Higher Education Students

If you are thinking about applying for one of our Higher Education courses you may be able to borrow money to help pay for your tuition fees, and to help with living costs as well as other financial support as outlined below.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are paid on top of your other student finance. They help you pay the extra costs you may have because of a disability. They don’t have to be repaid.  How much you get depends on your individual needs – not your household income.

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you have a disability, for example: long-term health condition; mental health condition; specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia.

Childcare Grant: If you have a child or children in childcare you can also apply for a Childcare Grant to contribute towards the cost of childcare while you are studying.

For further details of what is available and how to apply see

Artboard 7Artboard 6emailArtboard 9Artboard 9Artboard 11Artboard 17Artboard 10Artboard 16Artboard 18