Building a Successful Future – Employment Day
On Thursday 4th March at 6.15pm – we have a live Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask our panel any questions you may have about university, apprenticeships or securing a full-time job.
Our panel will include representatives from:
- Apprenticeship providers
To join us for the Live Q&A on 4th March at 6.15pm please click here
National Careers Week: Virtual Careers Fair 2021 March 1st to March 5th
A week of videos and resources to discover a range of careers with leading British companies including Nat West, NHS, BBC, the Motor Industry, Virgin Media, The London Screen Academy – Film, Civil Service, Babcock, BAE, Siemans and many, many more. Please click the logo to visit this free event this week. It is free and there is no need to register.
What are Employability and Life Skills? Why are they important? These are the essential skills, personal qualities and values that enable you to thrive in any workplace. Highly prized by employers, these are the transferable skills that turn you into a very attractive, successful candidate or employee. Employability skills develop the confidence, skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the workplace.
Check out the following resources, quizzes, worksheets and videos to enable you to take control of your skill development, helping you to build the skills you need for life and work. Click on the link:
- Barclays Life & Employability Skills – Helping young people understand and develop the key skills they need.
- Youth Employment Uk – Free Careers And Employability Resources For Young People
Don’t yet know what you want to do?
To help you to identify your skills and find out what interests and motivates you and to find out what you can do with the skills you have. You can use the interactive resources below by clicking on the link:
- icould buzz quiz – a 5 minute quiz to see what you think you are like and what you might like to do
- 16 personalities – a slightly longer quiz to help you explore how your personality might impact on your choice of career
- Career Pilot – a comprehensive website providing you with careers that match your interests, skills, qualifications and more
- National Careers Service – an even more comprehensive guide with no ads, sponsored by the government, which is all about careers. Try the skills assessment or the job profiles to finish your research
Labour Market Information
What does the Job Market mean?
The job market or labour market means the kinds of jobs that are around, how many of them are available and how many people are able to work. This will vary over time, according to geographical area, and may differ for each job sector.
The market changes as:
- the economy changes – it can mean more jobs if the economy is good, fewer jobs if it’s weak.
- technology changes – jobs may become automated, people work from home, new jobs develop, on-line services.
- the population changes – periods of low birth rate will eventually lead to periods when there are fewer people of working age available.
- the world economy and trading arrangements change – this can result in competition from other countries; but can also be a result of political activities.
- attitudes and working regulations change. For example, more leisure time for sports activities, shopping, personal services can lead to demand for employees in these areas.
What does this mean for you?
To have the best chance of becoming employed it is necessary to be aware of the job market and changes that may occur in your working life.
It means that you will need to:
- be flexible
- gain qualifications and be willing to learn throughout your working life
- develop skills that you can use in a range of jobs
- weigh up the opportunities available and be realistic about employment goals
- possibly have more than one job or career during your working life and maybe have more than one job at any one time
Know your Market…
Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership publish monthly dashboards including labour market statistics and commentary, monitoring the impact of COVID-19. CLICK HERE
In addition, Dorset LEP have released an updated set of interactive Industry dashboards offering the most recent vacancies and occupational developments in the following sectors. Click the interactive links:
Career Pilot – National Careers Week activity: Focus on jobs in the NHS.
March 1st – March 6th is National Careers Week!
Do you know what a nurse does and how to get into the job? Do you know what an orthoptist does or a prosthetist? Just some of the 100s of jobs in the NHS.
Do the Careerpilot National Career Week Activity on the PDF (30 mins): Explore NHS jobs, check out the skills you have that could match. Do a survey and you could win and Amazon Voucher (for 3 lucky winners this week). You can also find the Powerpoint here
The NHS is in the news every day at the moment, they have been doing an amazing job throughout the pandemic – especially with the roll out of the vaccine!
Do this activity and explore some of the 100s of NHS jobs in details, find out what skills you have and how they compare to different NHS jobs.
Finish off by completing our Careerpilot survey and you could be one of three lucky winners to get an Amazon voucher.
Parents/Carers please use our Parent Zone for information to help you to support your young people in making the right decision about study and work
Watch more videos at https://www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk/careers/videos
Dorset Careers Live – An Introduction to Allied Healthcare:
Dorset Careers Live – Careers in the Hospitality Sector with Marriott:
Manufacturing & Technology Careers
Dorset Careers Live – Introduction to Careers and apprenticeships in Manufacturing and Technology. Wednesday 16 June 2021 18:00 – 19:00 for Parents and Students: Click here to register for event
Dorset Careers Live – STEM Careers in Local Government – Wed, 10 February 2021 18:00 – 19:00: for students & Parents: Click here to register for event
The STEM careers and job roles available in local government.
Covering roles in:
- Engineering Apprenticeships and Highways,
- Social Care technologies,
- Planning department.
Career routes and where to go for more information.
Opportunity to hear from a local employer and ask questions.
Get In To Construction – Open Doors: https://builduk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Open-Doors-Goes-Digital-Information-for-Visitors.docx.pdf
Balfour Beatty: https://learnliveuk.com/partner/balfour-beatty-careers/
Jobs and careers offered all around the UK at a wide range of locations, there are a multitude of different types of Balfour Beatty apprenticeships you can take advantage of including:
- Digital Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Quantity Surveying
- Business Support & Admin
- Plant Maintenance
Kier Group: https://learnliveuk.com/partner/kier-careers/
Kier Group is a leading property, residential, construction and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate across a range of sectors including defence, education, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities. 67 Offices across the UK
Network Rail: https://learnliveuk.com/partner/network-rail-careers/
Types of Network Rail Careers
Wherever your interest lies, we’re sure that we’ll be able to match you up to a role that suits you the best and one where you will thrive with us. Below, are just a few of the career options that you can get involved in:
Operations – In this type of role, you’ll be expected to ensure safe performance on the railway, manage systems and assisting to reopen any blocked railway.
Maintenance – This sort of career involves the day to day upkeep of the network. Our maintenance team looks after all our infrastructure to ensure everything is in good working order.
Engineering – As a Network Rail engineer, you’ll be expected to range from simple over night repairs to working on major architectural developments. The umbrella term ”engineering” really does present a lot of opportunities.
Professional Services – Running a railway network takes a lot of different groups pf people/s expertise and help. That’s why we offer Network Rail careers in property, communications, human resources and business services.
For the full range of career opportunities at Magna Housing, check out the video they have made for Weymouth college students below.
Magna Housing is one of the largest housing associations in the South West, based in Dorset with their Head Office in Dorchester. They provide a wide range of housing services to nearly 9,000 homes and employ over 400 people. They provide employment opportunities in a whole range of career areas including in front line services of housing, sheltered housing and repairs, carpenters, plumbers, electricians etc. as well as central services including legal, finance, IT, HR, office management, communication and policy, governance and research departments. Magna also offer apprenticeship opportunities, so keep a look out on their apprenticeship vacancy page here
Take a look at the many organisations and job roles involved with the Jurassic Coast Trust, from working in Museums, Nature Sanctuaries, organising events with families and young people, visitor centres, outdoor work on large estates both private and National Trust owned, to preserve the natural landscapes of our coastline, ranger work and outdoor pursuit organisations PLUS Durlston Country Park who are looking to recruit a Public Engagement Assistant Apprentice in the near future, so keep a look out for this if you are interested. Watch this video which outlines all of these opportunities and more
The Careers and Apprenticeship Show for Dorset & Hampshire – May 20th 2021
Bringing you a full day and evening of activities for students and parents. If you want help finding out what jobs are available locally, which industries are growing, and where are the most promising career opportunities. Use this link to register: https://cas2021.vfairs.com/
- Information about apprenticeships and degree apprenticeships.
- 60+ virtual employer booths, for live chat.
- Inspiring speakers from the largest local employment sectors.
- Interactive sessions with live Q&A on a range of topics.
- A wide selection of live apprenticeship vacancies to choose from.
- Information on training opportunities.
- Fact sheets, information packs, and resources to download and keep.
- Updates on the best career prospects in your local economy.
- A focus on careers in Dorset, Hampshire, Surrey and the Isle of Wight and the M3 corridor.
- 30 days access (except for live events interaction which is on the 20th only).