Professional Cookery Level 1 Diploma
This course teaches you a variety of catering craft skills to a high standard. It develops your ability to work under pressure and as part of a team in the hospitality industry. Practical work features strongly , supported by cookery theory, hospitality based assignments and question papers. You will work towards a Diploma in Professional Cookery within a realistic working environment or in the HIX Academy restaurant and kitchen.
• 3 GCSEs at grade D or above including English and maths or equivalent
• An interest in hospitality and catering
• You will be required to undertake a practical skills assessment
• You will also be required to work evening and weekends.
The programme includes practical food preparation and cooking, food and beverage service lessons, luncheon production sessions, supported by theoretical assignments and practical examinations. All assessments are graded (pass, merit, distinction).
What topics will I study?
• Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
• Food safety in catering
• Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
• Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
• Introduction to kitchen equipment
• Introduction to personal workplace skills
• Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
• Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
• Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
• Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
• Regeneration of pre-prepared foods
• Cold food preparation
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed for competency in each unit though the completion of assignments and practical tasks.
You should aim to progress to the Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery course to further your training and broaden your career opportunities.
• If you are aged 16-18 as of 31 August on the year of enrolment – no course fee.
• If you are over 19 as of 31 August and enrolling on a full-time programme of study a tuition fee will be applicable in most cases.
There are financial support arrangements for 16-18 year olds and hardship funds available for the over 19s.
Please contact our Information Centre for details of costs and
concessions on 01305 208808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org