Professional Cookery Level 2 Diploma
This course is a fantastic opportunity for students seeking a career in hospitality and includes challenging practical and theoretical workshops alongside working in the Hix Academy Restaurant and kitchen.
The qualification will test your practical, theoretical and food service skills whilst enabling you to gain the necessary knowledge and understanding to enter the diverse and challenging industry of catering and hospitality.
• Selection is by interview.
You should have completed Level 1 Professional Cookery. Students will also be assessed on the results of a practical skills test.
This programme includes:
• Developing skills for employment in the catering and hospitality industry
• Food Safety in Catering
• Health and Safety in catering and hospitality industry
• Healthier foods and special diets
• Catering Operations, costs and menu planning
• Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
• Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
• Prepare and cook meat and offal
• Prepare and cook poultry
• Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
• Prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
• Produce paste products
• Produce hot and cold desserts and puddings
• Produce biscuit, cake and sponge products
• Prepare and cook fermented dough products
In addition you will also have an introduction into the following areas:
• Menu knowledge, design and resources
• Applying workplace skills
• Principles of beverage product knowledge
• Service of hot beverages
• Food and beverage service skills
• Handling payments and maintaining the payment point
• Principles of customer service in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed for competency in each unit though the completion of assignments and practical tasks.
You should aim to progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery course to further your training and broaden your career opportunities.
• If you are aged 16-18 as of 31 August on the year of enrolment – no course fee. • If you are over 19 as of 31 August and enrolling on a full-time programme of study a tuition fee will be applicable in most cases. Bursary funds There are financial support arrangements for 16-18 year olds and hardship funds available for the over 19s. Please contact our Information Centre for details of costs and concessions on 01305 208808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org