This new state-of-the-art media centre opened in summer of 2011 by producer of the award-winning film ‘The King’s Speech’ and ex-Weymouth College media student, Gareth Unwin.
The Hive is home to dedicated digital production suite offering students and teaching staff the combination of up-to-date digital production technology and a professional working environment which is essential to prepare today’s learners for employment in the digital creative industries.
- Multi-camera tapeless HD TV studio
- JVC 790 HD broadcast studio cameras
- Sony EX1 HD cameras for tapeless location filming
- Sony HXR 2000E HD cameras for training
- Avid Media Composer Nitris DX
- Dual Quad-core HP8600 computers with Mojo SDI
- ‘The Pod’ dynamic presentation module
- 60+ PC Media workstations, Adobe CS5 & Avid software
- Green screen studio with high-spec lighting, autocue and audio equipment
- Independent radio broadcasting facility
- Flexible teaching spaces.
Teaching in Mind
The Hive has flexible teaching spaces with cutting-edge features such as ‘The Pod’, our dynamic presentation module. The lecture theatre and 2D/3D screening room is available for external events with seating for more than 50 with excellent access and facilities for the disabled. In addition it incorporates a multi-camera tapeless HD TV studio and a radio production suite. The Hive and its technical features were designed in consultation with professional media practitioners.
To hire the 50-seater lecture theatre and 2D/3D screening room, or for more information on letting facilities please view The Hive Website.
The Hive has its own radio station called ‘The Hub’ which is produced and broadcasted by students. To listen to the radio station please click on the link below.